3D Vision Fix by mike_ar69
1. Water haloing, reflections
2. Green slime
3. Name Tags placed at depth
**UPDATE 9/27/13 Name tags apparently stopped working. Fixed. Download v2.
A video is available here: L4D2 Video.
1. Skybox and distant objects render too close, and are using some technique that means they can't be fixed. This is not too bad actually, and has not distracted me in any way at all.
2. As a result of the above there are some of these distant objects that display a double imaging against the sky. There are not many of these though, and I went through most levels.
3. The identifiers for textures appear to change over time, presumably when a patch or update is released. This is one reason I decided not to invest loads of effort in fixing skybox and distant objects. I did use texture separation for the Name Tags, and it is possible that in the future this might stop working due to the texture name changing. If it does, ping me and I'll find the name of the new one and update it.
Update 6/1/2013 - I created the fix for 1080p resolution with all settings on maximum. I noticed that, for some reason I do not understand, changing resolution in game makes (some of) the fixes stop working. If anyone encounters this, let me know. If anyone knows why this might be happening, please let me know also.
This game looks fantastic in 3D, even without the fixes the sense of atmosphere and ambiance is great. The water fix I think does polish this game off to be somewhere between "good" and "excellent" - everything else renders great.
Extract this zip file to the games exe directory. In my case this is D:\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2.exe.
Acknowledgements and Thanks
DHR looked at L4D2 a while back and provided the first shaderoverride shaders for hud and skybox. I used his Hud shader as a basis for my Name Tag fix.
Bo3b for advice on skybox issues.