Sunday, April 23, 2017

Dead Rising




3D Vision fix for Dead Rising.

Fixed
- Fire heatwave effect that can be seen at least near the start of the game.
- Stereoized and fixed mirror reflections that were flat.
- Stereoized some HUD elements that were flat.
- Lens flares are now at a fixed depth.

Disabled
- Lights in lamps and similar objects that were at the position of one eye (I couldn't fidn a way to fix them).

Installation
- Download this file and extract its contents in the root folder of the game, using 7-zip.
- Launch the game, but on Windows 10 you may need to quickly press alt+enter right after the game window appears, to avoid a crash. The game will be then in windowed mode. Press alt+enter again to enable fullscreen and 3D will start working. The game will probably crash if you alt+tab after that.

Hotkeys
- F2 or left stick click: convergence presets.
- F3 or right stick click: HUD depth presets. Screen depth by default.
- F3: bloom toggle. Not disabled by default.
- F4: depth of field and vignette toggle. Those effects are disabled by default.
- F5: one eye lights toggle. Disabled by default.
- Q or right trigger: 90% HUD depth at the center of the screen, meant for crosshairs and the camera objective.

Notes
- I haven't finished the game yet. If I play it to the end and find more fixable issues, I'll update the fix.

6 comments:

  1. Does this fix work when playing in 2D only? Depth of field toggle is appealing to me. Can hotkeys also be changed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it works for 2D too and you can also change the hotkeys. First of all, open the "d3dx.ini" file.

      Go to the "[Constants]" section and in this case you will see the "x", "y", "z" and "w" variables and their default value. To enable by default the lights I disabled, use "z=0" instead of "z=1". In this case it will make the F5 hotkey useless.

      If you want to change the hotkeys, go to line 133, where "[Key1]" starts. There you can change keys and values, and also what variables they change (in this fix I didn't comment what everything does in that file). You shouldn't need to change hotkeys other than F4 and F5. The others only change things visually if you play in 3D.

      Delete
  2. how do you find these post process effects and disable them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's usually easy. When I hunt shaders with the numpad keys ("hunting=1" or "hunting=2" in the "d3dx.ini" file), the effect that the program selects gets disabled. I just cycle through the available pixel shaders until the depth of field effect disappears (or any other effect I want to remove). After that, I dump the shader and make a condition to disable/enable it with a hotkey.

      Sometimes, if the shader code is easy enough to understand I make extra options inside it, like the depth of field strength in Yooka-Laylee, or the FXAA edge detection value in Dark Souls 2 SOTFS (which was too blurry by default).

      It would be better if developers offered all of that as ingame options, but when they don't, I try to do it myself. A cool example is The Evil Within, where a shader mod I made is the only known way to disable depth of field (you can find my files in the forums (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/541666/3d-vision/the-evil-within-by-tango-gameworks-shinji-mikami-bethesda-2014-/15/), because I didn't do the fix).

      Delete