Download the fix: 3Dfix-BoUT2-2015-02-20.zip
The fix has been updated for the final release with all five chapters. Special thanks to KING Art and Nordic Games for granting me access to the Chapter 5 private beta to get this fix ready ahead of time :)
Shadows are now fixed. If you have installed a previous version of this fix, be sure to delete the ShaderOverride folder before installing the new version, otherwise shadows will still be disabled.
- Shadows, halos, etc.
- Manual convergence and UI depth presets added (see below)
- Menus, books and maps automatically activate custom separation, convergence and UI depth presets tailored to each one.
I recommend you get comfortable with switching between different convergence and UI depth presets to suit each individual scene in the game. The recommended L preset is conservative to make it usable for the entire game (except for the drunken punch minigame in chapter 2, which needs the K preset), but some scenes may look better with a higher convergence.
UI, subtitles and inventory depth adjustment (not mouse cursor):
- ~: Screen depth
- 1-9: 10-90% depth
- 0: 100% depth
- K: Low convergence preset for the drunken punch minigame in chapter 2
- L: Recommended preset for most of the game
- semicolon: High preset for extra pop (can be too high in some scenes)
- quote: Extra high preset for extreme pop (can be too high in some scenes)
The convergence presets on K and L are fixed, but the presets on semicolon and quote can be customised to your preference. Start by activating the preset, adjusting the convergence with Ctrl+F5/F6 (advanced key bindings must be enabled in the control panel), then press F7 to save.
- Mouse cursor depth cannot be adjusted as the game uses a hardware cursor.
- The default convergence preset does not get activated automatically when the game is launched. Press L to manually activate it after launching the game.
- There's a few scenes in the game where the background is little more than a pre-rendered texture drawn over extremely simplified 3D geometry that doesn't really look very convincing in 3D. Fortunately there are only a few of these (mostly when talking to other characters, and mostly in chapter 1) and outside of them the 3D looks fantastic!
Extract the contents of 3Dfix-BoUT2.zip to the game directory. You should end up with this directory structure:
...\The Book of Unwritten Tales 2\Windows\BouT2_Data\ ...\The Book of Unwritten Tales 2\Windows\BouT2.exe ...\The Book of Unwritten Tales 2\Windows\steam_api.dll ...\The Book of Unwritten Tales 2\Windows\d3d9.dll (new) ...\The Book of Unwritten Tales 2\Data\ ...\The Book of Unwritten Tales 2\ShaderOverride\ (new) ...\The Book of Unwritten Tales 2\DX9Settings.ini (new)
After launching the game, press L to activate the recommended convergence preset.
- I have not found all the optional side quests in the game yet. If you notice a rendering issue in one of them, or find more books that need a custom stereo preset please let me know.
- I updated the fix during the chapter 5 private beta, but have not thouroughly checked if anything changed for the public release. Let me know if you find something broken.
Interested in learning to fix 3D Games?
Come join us in bo3b's school for shaderhackers!
If you are interested in seeing what changes I made to fix this and other games, I'd recommend checking out my 3d-fixes github repository - you can look through the commit history to see exactly what I changed and why.
Like my Work?
Consider supporting me on Patreon