Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Use dgVoodoo to convert the game to DX11:

  • Download and unzip dgVoodoo to any folder you choose

  • From “MS/x86” folders copy “D3D8.dll”, D3D9.dll”, “D3DImm.dll” and “Ddraw.dll” and place them to the game’s installation folder where “MM8.exe” is located

  • Launch dgVoodoo and Set Config folder/Running instance: “folder where your game’s exe file is located”

GENERAL tab:

  • Output API: Direct3D 11 (feature level 11.0)

  • Adapter(s) to use/enable: "Your graphics card"

  • Full Screen Output: \\.\DISPLAY 1

  • enable "Full Screen"

  • enable "Enumerate refresh rates"

  • Leave everything else as they are

DIRECTX tab:

  • Videocard: dgVoodoo Virtual Accelerated Card

  • VRAM: set to highest available (amount depends on dgVoodoo version)

  • Resolution: set to your monitor's highest as long as it's 119Hz

  • Filtering and Antialiasing as you prefer (I use “Force anisotropic 16x” and Antialiasing: “Off”).

  • Leave everything else as they are

In dgVoodoo settings be sure NOT to enable "Fast video memory access", it will crash the game.


Make shortcut of MM8.exe to your desktop.

Right click on MM8-shortcut and select “Properties”. Then select “Compatibility” tab and make followin selections:

- Windows 8 compatibility mode, disable full-screen optimisations and run as administrator.


In Nvidia Profile Inspector create new profile and add MM8.exe to it.

Set "StereoProfile" to "Yes"

Then set “ StereoTextureEnable” to “0x00000001 COMMON_STEREO_TEXTURE_ENABLED”


Go to game-folder and run MM7Setup.exe. In Might and Magic Configuration Utility that launches, select “Full Screen”, enable “Hardware Accelerated 3D” and from drop-down menu select “dgVoodoo DirectX Wrapper”

Exit MM Configuration Utility and launch game from the desktop shortcut you made earlier.


dgVoodoo: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

Nvidia Profile Inspector 2.13: https://www.filecroco.com/download-nvidia-inspector/



10 comments:

  1. Wow thanks for these. love the old school M&M games. Will try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Yes, these are great, I'm currently playing MM7 and having a blast. :D It's a shame that MM6 doesn't support hardware acceleration, so it won't work in 3d.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this, shame about MM6 as that's the one with the nostalgia value for me, but on the plus side I don't think I ever played 7, so this is great :-)
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a mod, that lets you play 6, 7 and 8 together as one game (with the engine of 8): https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/16657

      But I don't know if the 3D fix works together with the mode. I hope it does. Will try as soon as possible.

      Delete
  3. I installed it (on the stock game). It only works partially. One eye is completely correct. But the other one (the left) is missing the HUD and also some textures on buildings.

    So it's not very good. Has anyone else had this problem?

    BTW I have a line interlaced display.


    Also, after I installed the mm678 merge, the 3d fix didn't work anymore. I assume this has something to do, with the mod running the game in a borderless windows instead of exclusive full screen.

    Wasn't there a possibility to run 3d vision in borderless windows too?

    Maybe someone has an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. I checked MM7 and had those same problems as you mentioned, but I also found a fix. I noticed that Nvidia driver update had messed some profile information. All I had to do was to change "StereoProfile" to "Yes" and the fix started to work.

      I've also tried to get that mm678-merge to work some months ago but without any luck. I also came to that conclusion that it runs in borderless window and I have no idea how to force it to exclusive fullscreen. I don't remember did I try it with 3Dmigoto - if I could get 3Dmigoto to work with it, I might be able to force it to exclusive fullscreen. I just might try that one day and see what happens.

      Anyway, thanks for pointing this issue, I hope my solution works. If it doesn't report here and we'll see if there's anything else we could do.

      Delete
    2. I've now updated the instructions for both MM7 and MM8 with that "StereoProfile" -part.

      Delete
    3. Just noting that if it works with 3Dmigoto, that you can set the StereoProfile=yes in the [Profile] section of the d3dx.ini. Should work, I think other dgvoodoo games have worked.

      Delete
  4. Hey thanks, for the answer. I activated SteroProfile and now the problem with the shaders seems to be fixed.
    I still got the HUD only on one eye!

    I also have the problem, that without 3dmigoto I got no 3d output. I have an ASUS monitor with line interlaced. That is not supported by NVIDIA. I have to use an EDID override to let NVIDIA think it is a ZALMAN display. Normally that works.

    Here I dont get an image. Activating 3dVision doesn't give me line interlaced output, but just one image (the image moves slightly, so it obviously it is one of the two half images).

    With 3dmigoto I can hit F1 several times, to geht into line interlaced output of 3dmigoto. That works. Anyway in all output modes of 3dmiogoto the HUD is only visible on one eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, it's a little embarrassing, but I figured it out now.

      Everytime I startet the game windows was asking for admin privileges for "mm8-rel.exe". I just added "mm8-rel.exe" to the NVIDIA profile, and now it loads correctly.

      So obviously, the profile didn't load at all on my earlier try 🤦‍.

      Delete