Sunday, June 16, 2024

Prey 2017 (DX11)







geo-11 fix for Prey, the 2017 game. It isn't based on the original fix by DHR so we probably do things differently for the HUD.

I tested the main game and the Mooncrash DLC. The fix is compatible with this mod, which improves lighting and adds parallax occlusion mapping: https://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/22

Don't use the mod version that includes ReShade, because the fix includes and needs a "dxgi.dll" file (that comes from the 3Dmigoto github) to make geo-11 load correctly.


Update (2024-06-18): changes to dynamic crosshair depth (thanks, Kai, for the code changes), making the shotgun and crossbow not problematic anymore. Removed my compiled shader cache (ShaderCacheDM) which was causing issues for some users.


Fixed
- Haloing issues.
- Lighting.
- Volumetric lighting.
- Light shafts.
- Shadows.
- Decals.
- Parallax occlusion mapping.
- Specular reflections at realistic depth.
- Screen space reflections.
- Geometry culling.
- Lighting clipping.
- Radial blur.
- Motion blur.
- Temporal antialiasing (but not 100% perfect at non zero convergence, so I recommend no AA or normal SMAA at most).
- Lens flares and the sun.
- Skybox depth.
- Dynamic depth for crosshairs, quest icons, and text related to them.
- Restored the nice geometric depth of menus and the weapon wheel.
- Automatic preset for the hacking minigame.
- Automatic preset for the title screen.


Known issues
- I wasn't able to improve ambient occlusion, so it may look imperfect at some angles.


Installation
- (geo-11, with build v0.6.164): download this file and extract its contents in the "Prey\Binaries\Danielle\x64\Release" folder, where "Prey.exe" is. Remember to edit "d3dxdm.ini" to change your "direct_mode" to the output you need. For 3D Vision modes, "nvidia_dx9" doesn't work, and I can't test "nvidia_dx11" myself.
- Important: DO NOT skip the intro videos by renaming the files or using other mods. That will break 3D at the very least, and freeze the title screen visuals depending on which videos you delete.
- Launch the game.


Hotkeys
F1: convergence presets (0, 0.25, 0.32, 0.5, 0.75, 1). 0.32 by default.


If you liked the fix and want to contribute for more future fixes, you can donate to this PayPal account: masterotakusuko@gmail.com
Or you can join my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/masterotaku

12 comments:

  1. Not working on Nvidia 3dvision dx11 for me. Game loads but no 3d on screen. Emmitter is activated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This game has always been finicky to start. In sbs mode I can run it fine. nvidia_dx9 crashes at launch for me on 452.06. I think I got it running using nvidia_dx11 on 452.06+global hack, it was in stereo on VG278QR. At launch nothing shows up, but Ctrl-T shows alternate eyes. Alt-Tab or alt-return made stereo come on.

      Importantly, shadows were fixed and working. However- there were lighting glitches with lights shining on walls that were not fixed. Not at all likely that masterotaku overlooked these, so something is not quite right. I also saw 3D turn off with flat screen items like reading books or inventory. Not sure.

      @masterotaku- please try alt-tab to see if it possibly breaks/changes some shaders. Thanks for refixing this game with geo-11, it's terrific.

      Delete
    2. Someone on discord had graphics issues until that person deleted the ShaderCacheDM folder.
      Which is strange because someone else tested the fix before release and there weren't problems like that. With or without that graphics mod that I linked.

      Maybe the GPU generation or drivers have something to do with that...

      Delete
    3. Good call. Deleting the ShaderCacheDM and letting it rebuild fixed it. No mod installed here. It still switches to flat/2D for books/inventory/weapons, but that seems OK.

      So it's running perfectly using nvidia_dx11 output mode on driver 452.06.

      Delete
    4. Those things shouldn't be flat, as you can see in the fourth screenshot. And I tested the game at multiple resolutions.
      I wonder what else is going on for you.

      Delete
    5. Yeah, it's a bit weird, but my best guess there is some sort of window management by the game itself. The main start window is 2D as well, and only goes to 3D once a game is loaded. I think this is some interaction between their window management (like maybe going to borderless when in flat screens), or possibly something with the direct mode to the driver for nvidia_dx11. It's fast and does not flicker when switching, so it seems OK for this mode.

      Delete
    6. I am on 425.31 drivers on rxt 2080ti and the books/inventory/weapons are 3d for me. I did have to delete the ShaderCacheDM to get everything to look right, but other than that and removing the prey.exe from teh Nvidia profile I have been fine.

      On an unrelated note do you think you will ever update your dx11 SD3D mod to support the newest version of Reshade? I use it quite a bit with some games and it especially works well on Unreal4 engine games when the U4 universal fix is not working right.

      Delete
    7. Good to know. Tonight I'm going to post an update that improves the crosshair when weapons interfere. You'll know when I mention the update date in the post.
      I guess I'll remove the ShaderCacheDM from the fix because it causes problems for some people.

      Delete
    8. This seems pretty good. Just testing here for you in the nvidia_dx11 case. I'd go ahead and leave in the ShaderCacheDM, but add a note to the page for nvidia_dx11 users should delete the game profile with nvidia profile inspector, and also delete the ShaderCacheDM. I could not get 3D enabled using nvidia_dx11 until I deleted the profile. The regular profile in 452.06 is set to CM for this game. And changing settings in d3dx.ini did not modify the profile. Probably deleting the profile settings altered how geo-11 stereoized things, which broke the cache.

      @terintamel: I'm unlikely to update the SD3D Reshade variant, but not zero.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! And the GUI looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Masterotaku, I'm glad to have this with geo11, its one of my favorite non final fantasy games :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried the original fix but couldn't get it working then I found this one. This fix worked right out of the box and looks great. (2x1080 in SLI). Thank you very much for this effort.

    ReplyDelete