Friday, May 1, 2026

KINGDOM HEARTS III + Re Mind (DLC) and KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep – A fragmentary passage













geo-11 fix for "KINGDOM HEARTS III + Re Mind (DLC)" and "KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep – A fragmentary passage". That last game is the prologue, contained in the "KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue" game.


Update (2028-08-25): ambient occlusion fixed, and a better fix for some lighting clipping.


Fixed
- Lighting.
- Shadows.
- Volumetric lighting.
- Distant fog.
- Clouds.
- Lighting clipping.
- Ambient occlusion.
- Parallax occlusion mapping effects.
- Light shafts.
- Some surface effects on some enemies.
- Temporal antialiasing.
- Radial blur effects and other related things.
- Inverted mirrors and an inverted monitor.
- One-eye issues related to the HUD and menus.
- Added dynamic HUD depth for elements that need it.
- Autoconvergence configured. I don't recommend disabling it.


Known issues
- Borderless mode has some kind of VRAM leak in Kingdom Hearts III, specifically in some Kingdom of Corona cutscenes. Even without geo-11 there is something weird about VRAM usage there, but geo-11 makes it explode. Fullscreen and windowed modes are OK and show normal VRAM usage.
- Some HUD elements are imperfect during the gummi ship gameplay. It's unavoidable due to texture conflicts with other parts of the game.
- Game issue even in 2D without geo-11: the model viewer looks washed out when you aren't using any antialasing method.


Installation
- geo-11 fix (with build v0.6.198): download this file and extract its contents in the "KINGDOM HEARTS III\KINGDOM HEARTS III\Binaries\Win64" folder, where "KINGDOM HEARTS III.exe" is, or "KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue\KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep\Binaries\Win64", where "KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep.exe" is.
- Run the game.
- Do not use borderless mode in Kingdom Hearts III.


Hotkeys
F4: vignette toggle. Disabled by default, due to it being annoying.


If you liked the fix and want to contribute for more future fixes, you can donate to this PayPal account: masterotakusuko@gmail.com
Or you can join my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/masterotaku

23 comments:

  1. Thank you, masterotaku. Looking forward to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steam or epic version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Steam version. The Epic version will probably be fine too (aside from having to disable the Epic overlay), but I didn't try it.

      Delete
    2. Be sure to disable the Epic Overlay, it's known to crash modded games.

      Delete
  3. I did disable it and get a fatal error:low level fatal error: file unknown[line 182] unreal engine is exiting due to d3d device being lost error 0x887A0020- internal error

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What hardware and driver are you running? That error generally happens if you are using 3D Vision DX11 output, with 452.06. If you are using that driver, you need the schwing hack to the driver to avoid this crash. 3DFM can enable it.

      Delete
    2. I have a radeon 9070xt and the latest driver 26.3.1

      Delete
    3. AMD and Intel GPUs are known to have problems with geo-11. Some games work, some don't.
      And it isn't just geo-11. For example, Vk3DVision only works with Nvidia GPUs.

      Delete
    4. I see thank you for your time

      Delete
    5. @masterotaku: Do you happen to know off-hand whether any of your regex changes the input/output signature of the pipeline? Like if you add a new parameter to pass in a matrix for deprojection or something? I debugged an AMD crash in the DSS help-shader all the way down it being a variance on the GS, where it changed the signature on the fly. Technically illegal, but NVidia lets this slide, whereas AMD will hard crash the driver. I thought I'd seen something similar with Losti's older UE5 regex but can't find it now.

      Delete
    6. I didn't touch any geometry shader in this game.
      About inputs/outputs, I passed "vs-t110 = ResourceDepthBuffer" to many HUD vertex shaders, to apply dynamic depth to some textures.
      And I used "stereo2mono" in three pixel shaders. Two of them to fix inverted mirrors, and another one to fix an inverted "PC monitor" in the DLC of KH3.
      Other than that... specifically in this game, I didn't pass extra outputs from HUD VSs to the child PSs that I sometimes use to recreate scissor clipping in pixel shaders after disabling it in the ini, although I have some remnant shaders from some older UE fix I made where I did that.
      I hope that answers your question.

      Delete
    7. I think that does, thanks. It still seems like the regex is somehow crashing the AMD, because anon reports that experimental version doesn't crash. The only one I've fully debugged is where the VS output struct didn't match the PS input struct, but this seems somehow different.

      Delete
  4. I switch to geo11 6.6 and i was able to hit continue but before loading the game crashed just with fatal error

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try this experimental version of geo-11. https://bo3b.s3.amazonaws.com/geo-11+v0.6.60.zip
      Earlier I added some changes to improve AMD compatibility, and there is an off chance it works.

      Delete
    2. It doesnt crash with this one but the 3d effect is out of wack.

      Delete
    3. OK, interesting. Did you keep masterotaku's fix files? The one I post there is just the geo-11 files, not the fix. You need to start with the fix files, then replace the dlls with this experimental one.

      Delete
  5. sorry for the late response, tried everything you suggested and the game keeps crashing. Before I had a 2080 super and I was able to make the UE4 universal fix to work. I cant make it work with the amd 9070xt

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used the geo11+0.6.60 with fixes. It worked fine other than recieving the error "WARNING: Unknown get_resolution_from=depth_buffer_detection". I noticed shimmering and strange depth perceptions on effects such as shadows, lighting etc. as well as character's eyes. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "get_resolution_from=depth_buffer_detection" is set in "d3dxdm.ini". You can comment or remove that, and it will use what is set in "d3dx.ini" instead.
      About the other problems, they are probably side effects of using that geo-11 version, which doesn't have a lot of features that the one that I made the fix with has. Most important of all, the values of separation and convergence of the previous frame that I use to fix temporal effects.

      The only real suggestion I can give is: get an Nvidia GPU.

      Delete
    2. So it was crashing also the birth by sleep fragmentary passage, I disabled UE5_masterotaku.ini in the d3dx.ini and that fixed the crash, however in this game I am able to play it, it loads without a problem but on KH3 crashes when trying to load after hitting continue.

      Delete
    3. Finally it works after disabling "get_resolution_from=depth_buffer_detection" from d3dxdm.ini, and disabling "UE5_masterotaku.ini" from d3dx.ini

      Delete
  7. So I removed the files date modified on 4/29/2026 and the game moves to the continue menu but hangs after hitting continue, with Pure virtual function being called" error, I will continue searching for the cause for this error

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. before the game was crashing right after the logos after I removed those files it made it past to the continue menu, after hitting continue it would try to load but would crash after loading a little bit with the error I posted on my previous comment, If I install the geo 11 without the fix folders the game starts fine with the 3d effect but the shaders out of wack.

      Delete